Ministries & Services
The work of the Board of Mission and Social Concerns is to foster awareness of human needs and to answer these needs. Our goal is to involve all members and friends of our congregation in this outreach. Our church reflects the passion of our members for helping others locally, nationally, and globally as we have done, as a center of faith and service, for 150 years, and as we have pledged to do well into the future. The board works to provide education and leadership for this goal. At every opportunity we aim to reach out to improve the quality of life for people in our community and in our world, and to help in whatever ways we are able.
Our goals for the coming years
• Actively participate in the work and financial needs of Helpline, our local coordinating agency for helping local people in need.
• Plan, cook, and serve monthly meals at the Christian Aid Center. Our goal is to involve an increasing number of our congregation in this work. We donate magazines and books, and offer aid to the Christian Aid Center as needs arise.
• Promote understanding and implementation of our role as an open and affirming church, in coordination with the educational outreach of our active ..And Affirming committee.
Provide increasingly active outreach to the Latino community in the Walla Walla valley through a coordinated program and through actions of our leaders and members.
• Bring attention to local, national, and global issues of social justice and offer active plans to help our congregation become involved.
• Offer the use of our church facilities as meeting sites to many local 12-step programs. See the schedule of meetings on the Community Services page.
• Donate to and work with our local Pantry Shelf.
• Hold rummage sales twice yearly and donate the proceeds to mission and outreach needs.
• Adopt a dozen families during the Christmas season and provide each person with gifts and the family with a generous food basket for the holidays and the weeks after.
• Actively advocate and work for economic justice and world peace.
• Generously support the United Church of Christ in their support of the needy in the United States and worldwide.
Sunday Worship & Sunday School
Our regular Sunday Worship services begin at 10:00 AM.
During the Fall, Winter and Spring our Board of Christian Education organizes a Sunday School curriculum for Preschool through Sixth Grade. Additionally, Confirmation Classes are offered for youth.
Our middle and high school youth are invited to participate in the Pilgrim Fellowship (PF), the traditional name for our Youth Groups. Outings, social times, and more are offered.
Sermons at First Church. Please Click on Tab directly above for a short cut to our Sermon Archive.
During the course of the year we offer special worship services including, but not limited to:
Maundy Thursday / Seder
Holden Worship / Thursdays through Lent
Christmas Eve / Traditional
Bluegrass Worship / Twice a year
We invite everyone to participate. Several of these worship times include a simple meal before or after the service. Please watch HIGHLIGHTS and our online calendar for full details through the year.